Bookmarks are links from the top of the page down to another location on the same page. Like in this help page, you can click on the link for Creating Bookmarks in the Table of Contents and the screen scrolls down to this part of the page.
Creating Bookmarks takes a two step approach, first you create the Bookmark (the place in the page you want to go to) then create the hyperlink to that spot.
1. Type in the name or title, highlight the phrase, click "Edit" and select "Bookmark".
The phrase appears in the window and click "OK"
2. Now create the link: This can be either text or a graphic "hotspot" (see creating Image-maps )
Highlight the source of the link, click "Edit" and select "Hyperlink"
In the bottom left of this window under "Optional" click on the drop down window associated with "Bookmark" and select the phrase you just created. Save your changes and test it.
The biggest problem is that the size of your page may get too big, thus loading times are slowed down. The solution is to divide the page into more manageable chunks and use hyperlinks between the pages
Image-maps have links inside the image which connect to either Bookmarks or to Hyperlinks. You create a "hotspot" on the graphic so when a user clicks on that area a link occurs. On this page clicking on any of the arrow graphics will link to the Table of Contents at the top of the page. The arrow graphic in this table is different than the others. Notice that in all of the other arrows, the only visible part of the graphic is the arrow, although the graphic is actually a rectangle. I just made the background on the other arrows transparent. For this example, I kept the graphic as a rectangle to illustrate the "hotspot", which is just the arrow itself, not the background. (The cursor changes to a finger when the mouse is over the "hotspot")
|To create an image-map, left click the graphic, a tool bar pops up at the bottom. Select the desired tool (I chose polygon for this one) and drag a border around the desired area.|
Hyperlinks differ from Bookmarks in that they link to another
page or, as Microsoft states it, -- "A pointer from text or from an image map to a
page or other type of file on the World Wide Web. On Web pages, hyperlinks are the primary
way to navigate between pages and among Web sites."
To create a Hyperlink, type in the word or phrase, highlight it, click "Edit" and select "Hyperlink". In the window that pops up, either select a page on your web from the list provided, or type in the URL to the desired site. Save your changes and test it.
There are several ways to add tables to your pages, the first 2 examples use equal spacing, while in the third example you can customize as you go.
1. Click on "Table", click "Insert Table" select the number of rows and columns you need and any other desired layout. Click OK and the table appears. Notice the uniform size of the cells, you can edit the size by dragging the dotted lines.
2. Click on the table icon in the standard toolbar. Click and hold down the left mouse button as you select the desired number of rows and columns. Release the mouse button and the table is inserted. Notice the uniform size of the cells, you can edit the size by dragging the dotted lines.
3. Insure that your table toolbar is visible (View/Table Toolbar). Click on the pencil icon in the table toolbar. Draw the horizontal top (left to right) of the table at the desired position by clicking at the starting point and dragging the cursor to the end. Release the cursor and a dotted line appears on a single table (1 row 1 column). To add another row, draw a horizontal line across the center of the table, to add a column, draw a vertical line in the desired position. You can size and shape the cells where you want them as you go. An example is shown below. Notice that the table is actually two rows. The top row is divided into 4 columns.
|Adding a Hit Counter
A hit counter is a component that keeps a count of how many users have visited the page it is on. To add a hit counter, click on "Insert" go down to "Active Elements" and select "Hit Counter" select the desired settings and click OK. Save your changes and preview your counter.